Wednesday, August 26, 2026

720. A Speaker's Experience

Chitrambalam, being a renowned speaker, known for his wit and wisdom, would often receive speaking assignments from various forums. The invitation received from the entertainment club was one such. 

Since it was an entertainment club, Chitrambalam thought that it would be appropriate to speak on a humorous topic. He prepared a speech on the topic 'The intoxication of fame.'

When Chitrambalam returned home after delivering his speech in the entertainment club, his wife Vanathi asked him, "Why are you looking so dull? Are you not feeling well?"

"No. I am okay" said Chitrambalam and sank into the reclining chair. 

"Are you running a temperature?" asked Vanitha, touching his forehead with her fingers, in an attempt to gauge the warmth of his body.

"No. I am fine, physically. But, I feel mentally exhausted, after speaking in the entertainment club. I realize that I made a mistake in accepting the speaking assignment at that club. I have never seen such an unruly and uncivilized audience" said Thiruchchitrambalam, with disgust.

"What did they do?"

"The major activity of the members of the club appears to comprise only drinking, chatting and playing cards. The secretary of the club had arranged my lecture, for a change, thinking that the members would have an opportunity to experience something different from what they usually do. It was as if he had told them that he would arrange for drinks to be served, only after the lecture got over! Almost every one sitting in the audience began to look at their watches, the moment the meeting had begun. I felt dismayed at that sight. Even as I was speaking, standing on the dais, the members were talking among themselves, sitting in their seats. The secretary appealed to them several times to stop talking and listen to my speech, but the members paid no heed to his words. I was delivering a humorous speech, but it was falling on deaf ears. Only a few people, scattered at different spots in the hall, listened to me and showed their enjoyment. Towards the end of my speech, one person stood up and asked me, 'Sir! I have a question relating to your topic, 'The Intoxication of Fame.' Will the intoxication of fame be as powerful as the intoxication of liquor?' 

"I prepared a speech for one hour, but, discouraged by the behaviour of the audience, I curtailed my speech to thirty minutes. The Secretary of the club apologized to me for the behaviour of the members. He told me, 'For the first time, I arranged for a speech in our club. But, our members had shown that they didn't deserve such good programs. I apologize to you for their behaviour.' I told him, 'I appreciate your gracefulness in apologizing for the behaviour of your members. But, I have a small piece of advice for you. Let this be the first and last speech you would ever arrange for your club members! Please don't invite any other speaker and humiliate him.' I feel like cooking a delicious feast and throwing it on a dirty surface" said Thiruchtrambalam, still not recovering from his discomfiture. 

Thirukkural
Section 2
Materialism
Chapter 72
Divining the Mind
Verse 720 (in Tamil):
angaNaththuL ukka amizhdhaRRAl tham kaNaththAr
allAr mun kOtti koLal.

Meaning:
Speaking before an audience who don't belong to your intellectual class is like throwing away the nectar into the drains.

(This is the English version of the Tamil story 'mana magizh manRam' by the same author.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment