"All the three persons recommended by you are outstanding candidates, no doubt. But, let me ask you a question. Who among the three do you think will be selected by the international research centre for the contract job?" Chandrakant asked Danvantri, after going through the list of names sent by him.
"I believe that among the three, Arivazhagan has the best chance" said Danvantri.
"You mentioned the name even before I could finish my question! But, Arivazhagan's name is the third in your list. I thought you would mention the name of Gopichand, the first in your list" said Chandrakant, expressing his surprise.
Danvantri smiled, without saying anything.
"Excellent, Mr. Danvantri. As predicted by you, the Centre has selected Arivazhagan for a job on a five year contract. How did you make an accurate guess?" asked Chandrakant.
"Since the three trainee scientists were working under me, I was able to make an assessment about each of them. All the three are highly intelligent and knowledgeable. But, I had observed that Gopichand and Krishna Prasad were somewhat overenthusiastic. They would rush to give their answers to every question and unsolicited opinions on every issue. They had a habit of displaying an unrestrained urge to show off their knowledge and intelligence. I advised them several times that it was not a good habit to hasten to express one's views, in a gathering of seniors and scholars. I pointed out to them that the seniors and the scholars would consider such overenthusiastic actions as showing off and resent such an attitude and behaviour. But, neither of the two changed his ways. Arivazhagan, on the other hand, was polite. He won't be in a hurry to show that he knew the answer to a question, or a solution to a problem. He would wait for his turn, or, till the time someone asked him to answer the question. It was this attitude of Arivazhagan, which I thought, would propel him to be selected for the job" said Danvantri.
"I think you are also like Arivazhagan!" said Chandrakant.
"Why do you say so, sir?" asked Danvantri.
"When I asked you for your opinion about who would be selected, you mentioned Arivazhagan's name, but did not elaborate on why you thought so. You are doing it now, only after I asked you to!" sad Danvantri, smiling.
Section 2
Knowing Your Audience
nanRu enRavaRRuLLum nanRE mudhuvaruL
mundhu kiLavAch cheRivu.
Verse 714

No comments:
Post a Comment