"Why, sir? This is a profitable contract. We got this contract, amid tough competition from several other firms, including some big firms. Mr. Senthilkumar said that he would issue us the work order next week. Should we withdraw from the project at this stage?"
"Fortunately, they have not yet issued the work order. They have only orally informed us that they have decided to give us the contract. After reaching our office, we can send them an email that we won't be able to take up the contract."
"That can be done, sir. But, I don't understand why you don't want to take up this contract? Did Mr. Senthilkumar or any of the executives say something that you didn't like. Did I miss something?" asked Dhandapani, perplexed.
"They spoke to us well, alright. But, Senthilkumar doesn't respect his executives. The executives also harbour a feeling of resentment towards Senthilkumar. The disharmony between the Managing Director and the senior executives may create some problems for us, when we will be executing the contract. The executives won't be able to take any decision, make any commitment or assume responsibility for anything. Senthilkumar won't allow them to take decisions, or use their discretion either. We will be caught in the crossfire" said Marudhachalam.
"How did you gauge this, sir? I didn't get any such impression from what they had said during the meeting."
"We might not have been able to infer anything from the words spoken by them. The impression I gained was based on their face expressions. Words can't reveal a person's agreement or resentment as much as his face reveals" said Marudhachalam, laughing.
"I am scared, sir. If I ever consider the idea of looking for some other job, you may find out my thinking, by looking at my face!" said Dhandapani.
"I have been looking at your face for the past several years. Can I not find out what is in your mind? In fact, I have found it out already" said Marudhachalam, looking at Dhandapani's face.
"What do you mean, sir? I have no such ideas" said Dhandapani, somewhat shocked.
"Nevertheless, I have read what is in your mind. You won't leave me, even if I push you out!" said Marudhachalam, touching Dhandapani's shoulder affectionately.
Section 2
Divining the Mind
mugaththin mudhuk kuRaindhadhu uNdO uvappinum
kAyinum thAn mundhuRum.

No comments:
Post a Comment