"Let us talk about this, after I return home after today's lecture" replied Arumugam.
Arumugam returned home after 8 pm. After having his dinner, he came and sat in the living room.
Mekala came to the living room after a while, after completing her chores in the kitchen and sat near her husband.
"You are handling classes in the school, from the morning to the evening. In the evening, you are giving lectures on the river bank, sitting under a tree, to an audience comprising people from of diverse age groups and backgrounds, from the village. Now that you have to take classes for one more hour in the school, why can't you discontinue the riverbank lectures, in which you preach morals to the people?" asked Mekala.
"Mekala! My lectures at the river bank are not aimed at preaching morals to people. I just communicate various things I have learnt about this world, facts relating to nature, principles of basic science, truths and principles about life, living in tune with nature, moral values, making ourselves useful to other people etc. A number of people, ranging from kids to senior citizens, come to the riverbank and listen to my talks, with interest. When I tried to talk about these matters to my students in the school, they said, 'Sir! Please teach us topics relating to the examination.' But, a wide cross-section of the people of this village realize the significance of the things I talk about and are even inclined to implement in their lives what they have learnt from my talks. That is why I enjoy talking to these people. We water a plant, hoping to help it grow. And if we see that the plant is growing, won't we feel even more interested in watering the plant and helping its growth in other ways? Though the time available at my disposal has become less, because of the increase in my working hours in the school, I don't want to discontinue or curtail my riverbank talks" said Arumugam.
Section 2
Divining the Mind
uNarvadhu udaiyAr mun sollal vaLarvadhan
pAththiyuL nIr sorindhRRu.
Verse 717

No comments:
Post a Comment