Tuesday, August 18, 2026

714. In the Company of Intellectuals

My friend Jagadeesan is reserved, by nature. He would converse only with his close friends like me, that too only briefly.

My friends' circle consists of people who are jovial, chatting being our favourite pastime. We would mostly chat about films, film stars and matters mentioned in gossip columns of popular magazines. We would mock at people known to us as well as people not known to us, like celebrities. We seldom talk about anything productive.

People who listen to our conversations are apt to consider us creatures of low intelligence, having a superficial perspective about life. 

Though Jagadeesan is not a person of our kind, being a part of our circle, would participate in our conversation

I took Jagadeesan to a club, in which I was a member. That club had many intellectuals as its members. Some of them were my friends. When they discussed topics like world economy, international politics, latest developments in the field of Science and Technology etc, I would be idly listening to the discussion, sitting by their side. I didn't have the knowledge or perspicacity to understand the points discussed by them and offer my views.

I introduced Jagadeesan to my intellectual friends. They greeted him out of courtesy and began to discuss certain serious topics, in keeping with their habit. 

At one stage, Jagadeesan joined the discussion. He spoke, agreeing with some of the points discussed and countering some other points. He spoke emphatically, presenting logical arguments and citing sources, facts and information in support of his views. 

My intellectual friends looked at Jagadeesan with respect and admiration and continued the discussion with him. 

When I was leaving the club, some of these friends told me, "Your friend appears to be a genius and a scholar. Bring him to the club often."

As we were coming out of the club, I told Jagadeesan, "Jagadeesan! When people in our circle of friends talk something frivolous and ridiculous, you join us by responding to our silly and meaningless comments. But, today you had a discussion with my intellectual friends in the club. I have not been able to grasp most of what these people say. But, you were able to discuss with them some serious topics and stun them with the depth of your knowledge and understanding. How are you able to do this?" 

I pressed his shoulders gently, by way of conveying my admiration.

Jagadeesan smiled, without saying anything. 

Thirukkural
Section 2
Materialism
Chapter 72
Divining the Mind
Verse 714 (in Tamil):
oLiyAr mun oLLiyar Adhal veLiyAr mun
vAn sudhai vaNNam koLal.

Meaning:
Be brilliant before the enlightened, and amidst the ignorant,
turn blank as a wall plastered white.

(This is the English version of the Tamil story 'aRivaLigaL madhdhiyil' by the same author.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment