Saturday, September 26, 2026

730. Kamban's Disappointment!

Tamil teacher Kannappan went to see the Headmaster, on being summoned by the latter.

"Sit down, Mr. Kannappan. I am proud of you" said Vaidhilingam, the Headmaster.

"Thank you, sir. Any specific reason for you to  feel proud of me, sir?" asked Kannappan, overwhelmed by the unexpected praise showered on him.

"I have come across many Tamil teachers. But I have not seen another person like you, with such a keen interest in literature, profound understanding of the classics and an uncanny ability to explain the meanings of the literary works to the students, in an intelligible and interesting way."

"May I know how you made such an assessment about me, sir?" asked Kannappan, politely.

"When you were giving a lesson on Kamba Ramayanam* to the 10th grade, I happened to hear your words, while passing by your class. I thought I would stand there for a few minutes and listen to you. But, I couldn't move away, till your class got over!" said the Headmaster.

"Oh! If I had known that you were standing outside the classroom and listening to me, I wouldn't have been able to give my lesson at all!"

Ignoring Kannappan's words, Vaidhlingam went on: "Not limiting yourself to teaching the students only what is needed for them to score well in the examination and giving your lesson with so much dedication shows your abiding interest in Tamil literature and the depth of your knowledge."

Kannappan said, "Thank you, sir! It was nice of you to have called me to your room and conveyed your appreciation, in person" and got up from his seat.

"Please, sit down. Are you aware that Kamban festival is being celebrated in our town next month/" asked Vaidhilingam

"Yes, sir. I saw the announcement."

"I requested the organizers to list you as one of the speakers. They have agreed" said Vaidhilingam, proudly.

"Sir!" exclaimed Kannappan, taken aback.

"Your mastery over Kamba Ramayanam, known only to your students, will now be known to the entire town. After sometime, as you become popular, it will be known to our state, to our country and in due course, to the entire world."

"I am sorry, sir. But, I can't do this."

"You don't want to be popular!"

"No, sir. I can't speak before an assembly. I am shy of speaking even before a small group of four or five people."

"Don't worry. Once, you start speaking, you will be able to overcome your shyness and become a confident speaker. Speaking before an assembly of strangers is no different from speaking in front of the students" said Vaidhilingam.

"I beg to differ with you, sit. The two situations are entirely different. The students are under my control. If I raise my voice a little, they will be scared. Speaking to the students is different from speaking in an assembly of elders. If you ask me to speak in front of all the students of our school, I can't do even that."

Vaidhilingam was surprised and disappointed by the diffidence and desperation in Kannappan's plea.

"Observing you speak in the class so confidently, displaying the right emotions and presenting the story like enacting a drama, I got your name included in the list of speakers during the function" said Vaidhilingam, in a tone of disappointment.

"I am sorry to have disappointed you, sir. Please pardon me" said Kannappan and got up from his seat. 

"I am not the only person disappointed. The poet Kamban will also feel disappointed. If only you could speak in an assembly the way you spoke in your class, expounding Kamban's classic, it would have added to the glory of Kamban!" said Vaidhilingam, with a sigh. 

*Kamba Ramayam is one of the most acclaimed literary works in Tamil. It is the story of the Hindu epic Ramayana, retold in Tamil by Kamban. 

Thirukkural
Section 2
Materialism
Chapter 72
Divining the Mind
Verse 730 (in Tamil):
uLar eninum illArOdu oppar kaLan anjik
kaRRa selach chollAdhAr.

Meaning:
Those who, because of stage-fright, can’t articulate
their learning before an assembly, though alive, are like the dead.

(This is the English version of the Tamil story 'kamban EmAndhAn' by the same author.) 
Verse 731 (Soon)
Verse 729

No comments:

Post a Comment