A panel of five experts, representing the venture capital firms, was sitting on the stage and interviewing the applicants, while the audience was watching the interviews, with interest.
Dilip and Varun were among the candidates. They had together applied for venture capital investment for setting up a plant for manufacturing an innovative product created by them.
The applicants were required to make presentations about their products in English.
Since Dilip had a good command over English, the duo decided that Dilip would make the presentation. However, Dilip had a shortcoming. He was diffident to speak before others. Varun had repeatedly exhorted Dilip to speak boldly.
They were listed 8th in the order of making the presentations.
After listening to first few presentations, Varun told Dilip with excitement, "Dilip! When it comes to the quality of innovation, the products of others cannot come anywhere near ours. I am sure, once we make our presentation, we will be selected for venture capital funding. You just have to make your presentation with confidence."
Dilip, who was apprehensive about how he was going to make the presentation with confidence, didn't say anything.
When the turn of Dilip and Varun came, Dilip began to speak. In spite of having prepared the presentation well, Dilip was unable to make a convincing presentation. He stumbled quite often, made mistakes and corrected himself, making himself a pitiable person in the process.
Vaun tried to come to Dilip's help a couple of times, but the panel members didn't allow it, saying that under the rules, only one person was allowed make the presentation.
After Dilip had completed his presentation, Varun told him, "You have made a mess of it, Dilip!"
"What could I do? I was not able to speak coherently. When I was explaining a point, I would remember that before introducing that point, I should have talked about another point, but I wouldn't know how to bring it up at that stage. It affected my flow and organization" said Dilip, sounding apologetic.
"Well! You are able to explain to me clearly why you couldn't make a coherent speech! It is pathetic that in spite of our having an excellent product, we are going to lose this opportunity to receive venture capital funding, because of our inability to make a good presentation" said Varun, expressing his frustration.
Section 2
Divining the Mind
pallavai kaRRum payam ilarE nal avaiyuL
nangu selach chollAdhAr.
Verse 727

No comments:
Post a Comment