Nambi came to the mike again and said, "There is a small change in the program. Since Mr. Rajan has not been feeling well, his assistant, Chellappa, a scientist himself, will read out Mr. Rajan's research paper.
Chellappa, who was sitting among the audience, stood up and came to the dais. Rajan handed over the papers held in his hand to Chellappa and began to get down from the dais.
"Why are you getting down, Rajan? You can sit on the dais!" said Nambi, trying to stop Rajan from getting down.
"It is okay, sir" said Rajan and got down.
"I am thankful to you for your help, Chellappa" Rajan told Chellappa, when the latter came to Rajan's cabin in the office, the next day.
"You have done such an excellent research work. You have also prepared the presentation very well, in a way intelligible even to a person without a deep knowledge of Science. It would have been better, if you had read your presentation" said Chellappa.
"Chellappa! You know about my weakness. I cannot stand before an audience and speak. I tried to do this a few times, but ended up getting embarrassed in the process. So, I have decided never to attempt to speak before an audience, hereafter. I have revealed my weakness only to you. Thank you for keeping it secret" said Rajan.
"You could have sat on the dais. Why did you get down?"
"There were many scholars and professors among the audience. If any of them were to find fault with some part of my presentation and turn their gazes at me, how could I, sitting on the dais, stand their gazes?" said Rajan.
'He is scared to look at the faces of scholars and speak. What is the use of all his erudition?' thought Chellappa. Having always looked at Rajan with deep respect and administration, Chellappa, for once, felt sympathetic about Rajan.
Section 2
Divining the Mind
vaLodu en van kaNNar allArkku nUlodu en
nuN avai anjubavarkku.
Verse 725

No comments:
Post a Comment