Wednesday, September 23, 2026

192. A Cabin for Gajapathy

No one in that firm knew what work Gajapathy had been doing. In fact he had no work to do!

Gajapathy was a friend of Sundaramurthy, the founder of the firm. He had been working in that firm, since the time the firm was launched. 

The firm was engaged in supplying various products to government departments. When the firm was started, it was selling stationery items like paper, files etc. Within a short period, a number of other goods including furniture and fittings were added to the list. 

During the early days of the firm, Gajapathy worked hard, along with Sundaramurthy, to improve the business of the firm. But, with the firm having grown big and the number of employees also gone up, Sundaramurthy's workload gradually came down and he began to relax.

In the firm, no one was given any designation. In the beginning Gajapathy was acting like the manager, but in the course of time his involvement in the firm's management came down.

The employees also gradually gave up the practice of reporting to Gajapathy and seeking his guidance. They began to report to the proprietor directly. 

The firm's office was functioning in two floors, the ground floor and the first floor. Sundaramurthy's cabin was at one end of the first floor. 

There was no separate cabin for any employee, including Gajapathy. Gajapathy's seat was near the staircase. 

Gajapathy would stop every employee, who was going up or coming down the stairs and chat with them. No one was able to avoid him. The employees could not help spending a few minutes talking to him. 

The chat could be on various topics like the employee's family matters, accidents and crimes in the town, movies, politics or occasionally, matters relating to the firm too!

Some employees enjoyed the chat, since it provided them with a short diversion from the monotony of work. But, Some others, particularly the lady employees, did not relish this. 

Gajapathy had a stentorian voice. So his voice would invariably reach most of the employees sitting on that floor. Everyone would be forced to turn their attention and listen to this chat. 

Since Gajapathy was a senior executive close to the proprietor, no one complained about the distraction caused by his chat.

One day Sundaramurthy shifted his cabin from the first floor to the ground floor.

When Gajapathy asked him, "Why did you change your room?" Sundaramurthy said, "Just for a change." 

A few days after shifting his cabin to the ground floor, Sundaramurthy called Gajapathy to his cabin. 

"Do you know why I moved to the ground floor?" asked Sundaramurthy.

"When I asked you, you said it was just for a change!" replied Gajapathy.

"Gajapathy! You have been with me from the time I started my firm.Your contribution to the growth of the firm is immense. I wanted to recognize your contribution and give you the importance you deserve. As you know, it is my policy to not give any designation to any employee in our firm. Otherwise, I would have designated you the general manager, even at the time I started the firm. Now, I am going to designate you the general manager. As a general manager, you need to be given a cabin. I vacated my cabin only for giving it to you. That cabin is bigger than this. Hereafter, you will be sitting there. I will send you some important files. You can look into the files leisurely and give your views. You won't have any work pressure."

Gajapathy was both happy and confused. 

"I have designated Gajapathy the general manager of the firm. I have vacated my cabin and given it to Gajapathy" Sundaramurthy told his wife, when he was at home.

"Why did you make this change suddenly?"

"Gajapathy has done a lot for the firm. When the firm became well established, I should have given some responsibility to him. I thought he could relax and enjoy his time in the firm till the time he retired. But, he had been stopping people passing through his seat and wasting their time by chatting with them and spoiling the work atmosphere of the office, in the process. The employees couldn't avoid him. I didn't know how to restrain him, since I didn't want him to feel hurt by my confronting him. So, I adopted this approach."

"How has Gajapathy taken the change?"

"He appears to be happy about getting a separate cabin. But, his cabin is located in a corner on the first floor. No one would have any need to go that side. So, he is isolated now. If he wants to chat with someone, he has to come out of his cabin and look for people. He can't do this quite often. Since the cabin has a glass door, he has been signaling people to come to his cabin by waving his hand. But people avoid looking at the glass door and even if they do, they signal back saying that they would come later, since they have some important work."

"I pity him."

"Till recently, it was the office which was in a position to be pitied! I am sure Gajapathy would adjust to the new situation. I have started giving him some assignments too. Who knows! He may start working hard and contributing to the firm again, as he was doing in the early days" said Sundaramurthy, with a smile.

Thirukkural
Section 1
The Path of Virtue
Chapter 20
Avoiding Vain Speech

Verse 192 (In Tamil)
payan ila pallAr mun sollal nayan ila
nattAr kaN seydhalin thIdhu.

Meaning:
To speak useless things in the presence of many is a greater evil than to do unkind things towards friends. 

(This is the English version of the Tamil story 'padhavi uyarvu' by the same author)
Verse 193 (Soon)
Verse 191

No comments:

Post a Comment