"Do you expect that the violence will be put to end in Sangha country and peace will be restored soon?" asked the Minister, perplexed.
"I don't expect normalcy to return to Sangha country, as long as Rajapadman remains the king. What I said is based on my assessment about the people of our country."
The minister was unable to decipher the meaning of the King's statement.
"Your Majesty! The need for us to relocate the refugees and feed them didn't arise. Our citizens have erected tents at several places near the border for the refugees to stay. They have also been providing food to them. Perhaps, this was anticipated by you!" said the Minister.
"Yes, Minister. The sobriquet 'A country that is hospitable to the immigrants' is not a hyperbole created by our poets to glorify our country. It was a title given to our country by grateful people who had migrated to our country in the past for various reasons like escaping from wars, repression, epidemics, famines, natural calamities etc. and become a part of our country's population" said the King, with pride.
"But, how long can our people support the refugees?"
"Our people are like milk, which would absorb any amount of water poured into it. However, we should reduce the burden of the people. We will supply food grains from the palace granary for feeding the refugees staying in tents."
"Yes, Your Majesty. But, I also have another worry."
"I know what your concern is, Minister. Is it not better to face a challenge when we are confronted with it, rather than worry about it in advance?" asked the King, with a smile.
"Your Majesty! Since our people's finances have been strained by their extending hospitality to the refugees, I was worried that our tax collections would be affected. But tax collections for this year have been robust. People have paid the taxes in time, as they have always done in the past. I find this amazing!" said the Minister.
"This comes as no surprise to me, Minister. My expectations, based on my assessment about our people's dedication, sacrificial spirit and the responsible attitude that the government could function well only if the citizens paid the taxes due in time, have not been belied. I am proud of the citizens of our country" said the King, brimming with pride.
Section 2
The Country
poRai orungu mEl varum kAl thAngi iRaivaRku
iRai orungu nErvadhu nAdu.

No comments:
Post a Comment